LEWIS & CLARK
|In 1930, the organ
was removed and sold to the Mayan Theatre in Denver, Colorado. This
disagrees with the Judd Walton opus lists which indicate 1926 as the
<--- The inscription here was found on the empty organ chamber wall during a recent rennovation of the theatre. It is 2-3 feet long, written with heavy black pencil. Photo courtesy Larry Bryant.
Edith Maddy with the console
R.C. in the chamber
441 8th ST
The Captain George Flavel house has captured the luxury and elegance of the Victorian period. This 1885 Queen Anne Victorian home features original Eastlake style woodwork interiors and exotic hardwood and imported tile fireplaces. Enjoy a walk on the grounds and many trees planted by the Flavels over 100 years ago.
1618 Exchange ST
Built as Astoria's City Hall in 1904 is now the Clatsop County Historical Society's regional museum, administrative offices. The galleries feature changing and permanent exhibits about the history of the area, people, industries and more.
|The Clatsop County Heritage Museum
The Clatsop County Heritage Museum can be found in a beautiful, neo-classical building which was built in 1904 and was formerly the Astoria City Hall. The museum's popular rotating and permanent exhibits bring this area's impressive history to life. Displays feature different aspects of Clatsop County's heritage--natural history, Indian artifacts, early immigrants and settlers of the area, important maritime events and art history represent some of the stories the museum has to tell.
After use as City Hall, public library, a USO club for WWII servicemen, and the first home of the Columbia River Maritime Museum, the building was an empty derelict until restored by the Clatsop County Historical Society.
This is just one of the many Historical Museums located throughout Oregon.
|Uppertown Firefighters Museum
An interesting collection of firefighting equipment from 1877 to 1963 from the original Fire Station. There are hand-pulled, horse-drawn, and motorized fire engines and vivid photographic displays of some of Astoria's most spectacular fires.
The historic 1896 building was designed by the famous Portland architect Emil Schacht and originally was part of the popular North Pacific Brewery until it was closed by Prohibition. In 1928 the City of Astoria rebuilt the building as the Uppertown Fire Station #2 and it served that purpose until 1960 when it was retired. The City donated the building and much of the classic equipment on display to the Clatsop County Historical Society in 1989.
Open Friday through Sunday.
The expansive mouth of the Columbia River in northwestern Oregon presents an eternal invitation to the sailor...and the shipwright. Its strong winds, boat-stranding tides and ever-shifting sand bars can challenge the most gifted sea farer.
Astoria is the gateway to the Columbia River, and nerve center of its sailing tradition. Near the historic town is the Fort Clatsop National Memorial commemorating the 1805-06 winter encampment of the Lewis and Clark Expedition.
Astoria is also home to the Astoria Marine Construction Company, builders of the 12 Columbia River One Design (CROD) 28-foot sloops, constructed mainly in the 1930's and 40's. These boats, designed by Joseph M. Dyer, provided recreation and competition for a small group of owners who wanted a shoal-draft boat to clear sandbars and gill nets.
Most of the the Crod hulls survive. Hulls 1 and 2 have been donated to the Columbia River Maritime Museum, which also houses significant historical information on the class. Hull 3, Aeolus, is sailing in Texas. Crod 4, Terry (later Mamook) has been found in good shape, under new ownership in Seattle. Hull 5, originally Dorla, now Antiki, has been purchased by Jared and Jennifer Hass in Springfield, OR, and is slated for restoration. Hull 9, originally named Evening Star, is now moored in Olympia, Washington and is under restoration by owner Art Pier. Hull 10, named Tom Tom after Tom Dyer, son of the class designer, is still in use in Washington.Read more - Visit this website